Saturday 13 June 2009

Saturday 13/06/2009 - Whiteacres - Day One - Arrival

I had planned to travel down to Whiteacres with Glenn Bailey who arrived as expected 10 minutes early. Mark Tanner was taking son Steve and also arrived as expected 25 minutes late!! It took both cars just over two hours 10 minutes to travel the 160 miles. Straight to the cafe where we met up with Bob Gullick, who had been at Whiteacres for the past two weeks. Bob had framed in both Residents matches and at Gwinear, so we got a lot of insider info. It was good to hear that the method feeder wasn’t dominating as much at Whiteacres with the margins and short pole starting to frame. It was also interesting to hear that there were plenty of Skimmers showing at Gwinear. Bob also explained that the Carp were responding to a careful feeding approach. The information was well worth the cost of a breakfast.

Bob and Angie (pictured right - when I first met Angie I thought it was Bob's daughter! Good job I didn't say anything) gave us a tour of their caravan – excellent and brand new! Angie was also kind enough to sort out the bedding – thanks Angie; I always struggle with filling those bloody the duvet covers. Bob explained that is was best not to park on the grass as the car may get stuck if it rained. I pointed out Marks car to him (pictured next lower right). Bob needn’t have worried Mark spends a lot of his business life in the s**t!!

Before leaving for home Bob said he wish he could stay with us for another week!

Off to the tackle shop to book into the two residents matches. Clint gave us his usual jovial micky taking welcome – he never seems to get any older – must be the Cornish air.

Having dropped off our bags Glenn decided that we should give the “Gay lakes” (named given by Ian Spriggs some years back when they were first opened) a try – Twin Oaks. Glenn settled on peg 4, Mark peg 6, me peg 8 and Steve peg 10. Everyone (except me) wanted to try the method feeder. I decided to try the paste and pellet. I Started on the paste at 5 metres (well I am on holiday) and started to catch bream to 4lb. I noticed that Glenn, Mark and Steve had started on the feeder and was casting into the far bank bushes and vegetation. I left them to it and carried on catching Bream. I switched to 6mm expander pellet and caught some good Ronnie’s to 1lb. I estimated I had 48lb which included two carp for 10lb. You need to be aware of the bait thief's, I caught this one red handed (see picture lower right).

Glenn had 20 Carp 50:50 on the method and pellet waggler for an estimated 60lb. Mark had 4 Carp on the method and Steve 3.
Back to the caravan by 17:00 a quick sort out, shower and off to the Two Clomes (a Clome is a bread oven built in to the sides of an old fireplace) for Sirloin steaks all round. Thanks Mark!!. Then back to the Whireacres pub for a pint or two!!

No comments: