Wednesday 17 June 2009

Monday 15/06/2009 - Day Three - Whiteacres Residents Gold Match - Trelawney and Twin Oaks

Day 3 brings with it the Residents Gold Match, which is to be fished on Lakes Trelawney and Twin Oaks. It’s not a lucky match for me, although I did qualify for the final, plus free caravan holiday on my first attempt in 2004, but because of work commitments I could not fish. Ever since then I haven’t won a bean, and a few DNW’s .

The match is run by Clint Elliot the Fishery Manager, the draw was held dead on time at nine. I drew peg 31 on Twin Oaks. I was well pleased with the draw as the wind was perfect for the pellet waggler and with plenty of tree cover on this inside with 30 inches of margin water. So with waggler set up and margin paste rig I was ready. I fed both margins and started on the waggler. After 1 hour I had only used two pellets in hair rig band! Into the margin with paste and Ronnied out! I decided to give the corn a try with a few decent Ronnies in the net. Then came the down pour and thunder. It was so heavy I could not see my float a top set away! At this point I near went up to the shop for a pint of caster, but too far too walk! Once the rain stopped I went back out on the pellet waggler and had a bit of sport for an hour putting nine Carp in the net for a total weight of 29lb 6oz for third in the section. It took me an age to pack up as everything was soaking wet and covered with mud splash up from the platform. With the weather so bad I could get the camera out only to take this of a Mallard Duck (pictured right).

Steve drew peg 25 on Trelawney and struggled for a weight of 11lb 8oz.

Glenn also drew on Trelawney peg 5. Glenn caught 27lb 14 oz on the pellet waggler, which included a foul hooked eight pounder. Glenn won his section picking up £40.

Mark drew peg 10 on Twin Oaks. I asked Mark to put in his own words how his day went:

“I drew Peg 10 on Twin Oaks, which Steve had pleasure fished on Saturday. Dropping Steve at Trelawney Mike suggested a walk would do me good, however then discovering two flat tyres on the trolley; it was a case of almost dragging my kit to Twin Oaks. The whistle for the off at 10.30 am sounded the all in, and all around it was ‘Method Madness’ as usual, with the Northerners appearing to lead the way. As I had a strip of bare bank and grass tight over (unlike having to contend with the overhanging gorse on Saturday) I was thinking if you can’t beat them join them. After the first hour enduring the lashing down rain (pictured right), and having left my Gore-Tex waterproof trousers in the car, which was parked at Trelawney and only a small Carp and one small Roach for my efforts. I threw the lot up the bank, and went straight out on the 5 metre paste line at the bottom of the near shelf, after very little movement and another two Ronnie’s (as Mike calls them), everything was swimming with water (paste, method mix, micro’s, tackle trays, carryall etc…). The lure of a pint of Olde English up at the Anglers Arms seemed more appealing by the minute.

Rain stopped, so straight down the edge on my corn and pellet line and was straight into a lump, with a good bonus 10lb Common in the net, it was straight back in and into another of the same weight. Things looking better now, and into the last hour with another seven in the net to put 44lb 14oz on the scales. Peg 8 below weighed 55lb all on the Method, Peg 12 above weighed 26lb. Moving up Twin Oaks, all the weights coming off Pegs 14, 16 and 18 where the wind had been blowing, the winner Neil Carless on Peg 14 who had caught well on the Method, before catching 60lb down the edge in the last hour or so, fishing pellet and paste over two pints of Luncheon Meat.


With a four pints maximum pellet bait limit (which just leaves anglers with no alternative other than to take other substitute baits), and the current fish issues, I wonder why they still allow meat on the complex.”


Full Result:

Neil Carless 109-08-0 peg 14 T O
Dave Richards 81-12-0 peg 17 Trelawney
John Burchell 61-12-0 peg 19 T O
Dave Thompson 59-15-0 peg 8 T O
Dave Brain 54-01-0 peg 18 T O
Adrian Clark 53-11-0 peg 16 T O

No comments: