Saturday 20 June 2009

Friday 19/06/2009 - Whiteacres - Day Seven - Mawgan Porth


Day Seven was to be our last day and we are back to Mawgan Porth. We were up early to clean the Caravan before we left. Lucky enough Mark Tanner (pictured right – posing for own camera – he seems to do this a lot!) is an expert as he is a long time “Shed Puller”. Bob the caravan was left gleaming and no smell of fish!!

A pre-draw walk round the Lake and it was noticeable that the water had become a lot clearer since the last match.

This is a remarkable venue; I would argue that it the best environment to fish in the UK. I took a short video of Janet (bottom left) giving the pre-match instructions. There are many fishery owners that could learnt a lot from Janet. Strange though, that Janet still needs to read it from a crib sheet after five years, three times a week! The tin rattler in the foreground is Janet's Dad.

To the draw and no sign of Skip (stig) McCabe – has anyone ever seen him? Steve drew peg 6, Mark peg 38, Glenn (pictured right – with a contented smile) drew the flyer peg 47 – this peg has won more times than any other. I drew peg 8. Due to the water clarity I decided to fish Corn over loose fed Hemp in to my left hand margin. It was very slow start – looking round everyone appeared to be struggling. After two hours I decided to try my favour paste in to the left hand margin. My catch rate increased to twenty fish an hour until the last half hour when the fish really had a go. I weighed 90lb 4oz for 5th overall and 3oz out of winning my section! If only I didn’t have a £25 pee!! I must say it was nice going back to five hour matches - much less tiring.

Glenn also had a slow start and after the first hour was well behind the venue expert Andy Partridge, who had drawn peg 16. Over the rest of the match Glenn gradually pulled back, especially in the last hour. Glenn fished hair rigged 10mm hard pellet at 50 cm (Andy reckons that a lot of fish live under the quite large platforms) over loose fed 4mm – lifting and dropping the bait until the fish hooked them selves! Alas, Glenn, like me could only manage second to Andy weighing 111lb 2oz. Glenn picked up £50 from the pools.

Steve weighed 54lb catching most of his fish in the last hour. Mark, like the anglers around him struggled weighing in 40lb. I think the clarity of the water dis effect the weights today.

Full Result:

1. Andy Partridge 126-05-0 peg 16
2. Glenn Bailey 111-02-0 peg 47
3. Dave Chinn 99-10-0 peg 11
4. Howard Stocker 90-07-0!! peg 42
5. Mike Nicholls 90-04-0 peg 8
6. Dave Turbberville 84-14-0 peg 5

No comments: