Thursday 2 April 2009

Wednesday 01/04/2009 - Carps AC - Cider Farm - Sheppard's Lake

“All fools day” and they were out in force on the bank today! I wasn’t sure whether to go or not as I have a stinking cold; but go I did. I really like this little Lake – I now think it is better than Burley Fields. There are plenty if Golden Rudd, Roach, Skimmers, Chub and Bream. The difference is there are also plenty of catchable Carp from 2lb to 5lb – so a venue that suits all.

I didn’t mind where I drew, pulling peg 12. However, on arrival I was a little disappointed to have a cold North Easterly blowing in to my bank. I was pleased, however, to find had drawn next to fellow Silvers angler and mate Bill Ferris who was on peg 10 – that makes it two matches on the bounce. Last year Bill Ferris (pictured right with 34lb of Silvers - still no smile) had 34lb of Golden Rudd from peg 9, so I needed to keep an eye on him!

The skimming wind made it difficult for both of us, whilst on the opposite bank one angler was fishing with his shirt off!

I had a brilliant start with 10lb in the first hour – of course you start thinking 6 x 10 lb equals!!! Never works that way, does it. Of course, it slowed, finishing with six Carp for 13lb 7oz and 25lb 13 oz of Silvers for sixth overall and first in the Silvers and a pick up of £35. Bill weighed 18lb 8oz for second in the Silvers.

The match overall was quite close with Martin Lenaghan (pictured right with the Silvers winner) taking the honours with 91lb 10oz from corner peg 13. Martin caught most of his fish early, whilst Tom Thick had a late spurt, almost catching Martin at the whistle. Martin caught Carp to 5lb on hard pellet and paste out in front – up and down and from both margins. I thought he fished a tidy match.

Full Result:

1. Martin Lenaghan 91-10-0 peg 13

2. Tom Thick 78-15-0 peg 17
3. John Thompson 72-05-0 peg 9
4. Colin Golding 67-03-0 peg 18
5. Steve Jefferies 51-11-0 peg 15
6. Mike Nicholls 39-04-0 peg 12


Top Silvers:

1. Mike Nicholls 25-13-0 peg 12

2. Bill Ferris 18-08-0 peg10

A photograph by fishery owner Mark Gibson follows his comments!

“.... ONE UGLY MUG, ONE BAG OF BEAUTIFUL SILVERS!”
Of course he is right. It's the hat.

I can also report that it's a particularly good year for the Farms draught dry cider.

No comments: