Thursday 9 April 2009

Thursday 09/04/2009 - Bathampton Over 55's - Bridge Pool

Today saw the 40th anniversary of the first flight of Concorde. I couldn’t let this pass without including the following two photographs. The first one shows her first flight lift-off at Filton. The second is of me on Concorde at MACH 2.00 at 55500 feet.









Back to the fishing. Mike Jones and I whilst walking around Withy Pool noticed two dead Carp, both around the 7lb mark in the margins of peg 52. I believe their demise was probably due to bad angling (or novice anglers). I explained to Mike that last year I hooked a Carp on Bridge Pool which had a treble hook in its back. I also explained that on the same day I was asked for my Bathampton licence three times. However, I wasn’t once asked to show the hook I was using. Anyway Mike and I arrived at next peg 51 where Mike found some 30lb line and attached was a number eight barbed hook! Every time I fish Morgan Porth, Cider Farm, Bitterwell, etc … I have to show all the hooks on my rigs before fishing.

The weather was against us again today with the wind gusting up from the South. There was some light rain, but nowhere near the amount forecast. The temperature had also dropped overnight, in the early hours. Bob Warren must have been freezing, having just come back from balmy Tenerife. It was good to see Rich Coles fishing today.

I drew peg 11, with the wind, once again, blowing at me, this time from 11 o clock. I set up one rig which I plumbed at 6 metres out in front for the pellet and Skimmers and the same depth at 2 o clock at 7 metres for CW&C. I also set up a light Ronnie rig and a paste rig to the distance and depth. I cupped in 125 ml of CW&C and a similar amount of micro and 4mm pellet on the other line. I started on the worm and caught well with the bites being "sail-away’s". I had about 5lb of Skimmers in the net when I decide to re-feed and try the pellet line. I had a couple of small Skimmers but the pellet was very slow. Colin Golding was struggling with his usual pellet on next peg 10. As we all know you need to fish out the CW&C before re-feeding, otherwise you can kill the swim – and I did – not another bite on this line. Back on the pellet and still slow. So on to the Ronnie rig and straight away I started catching quality Ronnies. I decide to stay with this to the end and finished the match with 21lb 9oz of Silvers (by the way my weight also included two Greens). This put me first in the Silvers and 8th overall and a pick up of £25.


The match was won by Geoff Stones (pictured right) with 55lb 14oz of Carp from peg 3. Geoff fished the pole (his new Colmic X5000) at 10 metres with 6mm expander on the hook, over micro pellet.

John Wild (pictured bottom right) fishing peg 9 and landed a Common Carp in pristine condition which weighed in at 14lb 2oz.

Full Result:

1. Geoff Stones 55-14-0 peg 3
2. Martin Alexander 45-12-0 peg 26
3. Terry Bruton 43-04-0 peg 29
4. Ton Coulston 41-0-0 peg 16
5. Dave Bacon 31-04-0 peg 17
6. Ian Sheppard 31-0-0 peg 28

Top Silvers:

1. Mike Nicholls 21-09-0 peg 11
2. Chris Snow 19-04-0 peg 14
3. Mike Jones 17-10-0 peg 7
4. Rich Coles 17-08-0 peg 31

No comments: