Monday 20 April 2009

Sunday 19/04/2009 - Cider Farm Open - Yarlington Mill and Dabinett

Brenda and I both had stomach bugs over the past three days and I was still feeling a bit weak, but as I had a lift with matey Glenn Bailey I decided to go. On arrival Mark Gibson explained that he would try a payout based on three sections, paying the top three in each section, with a “John (rip-off) Page” optional super pool. I thought this a good idea as it gives some of the less fancied pegs a chance of some coin.

I drew peg 41 on Yarlington Mill. A good peg, I was certainly happy with this one. Glenn drew peg 16 on Dabinett (a little moan followed, as he didn’t have either 7,8,21 or 22). I did explain to Glenn that with the wind blowing in to his end bank and with plenty of room I thought it good for a section position. I had only brought paste hook bait, so it didn’t take long to set up my three chosen paste rigs – open water, far side and inside margin (suitable for both left and right). The water was coloured, which I suspected was due to fish feeding earlier (probably overnight). I started in open water over micro pellet – not a bite. Tried the far bank and after two lost foul hookers I landed one, thought this swim to be too slow. So I tried the right hand margin, one liner, then nothing. Everyone else appeared to be struggling – Lance Tucker was catching the odd Carp on maggot right up the far shelf. So in to the right hand margin (hopefully saving the best for last). I started by not feeding and had a couple of the better stamp fish. I started feeding small amounts of hard 4mm pellet which increased my catch rate. So I increased the feed, only managing to bring the fish up in the water (the margin here is 3 foot). So decided to feed about twenty 4mm whilst playing the Carp, this appeared about right for the conditions. I ended with 19 Carp for 40lb 4oz and 8th in the match and 2nd in my section for a pick up of £50 – not bad.


The match was won by Shaun Ketteridge (pictured right with his catch) with 71lb 5oz from peg 46. Shaun caught on expander pellet fishing over to the far bank in three foot of water. Shaun said he had only fed a hand full of bait all day. I thought this interesting as when Glenn Bailey drew the peg last week for a second placing he had fed six pints, “Feed for thought”!!!

Glenn (pictured right with his catch and pictured below right sat next to the apple press drinking a celebratory pint of medium “Pinky Ponk Juice”) finished first in his section and second overall with 60lb 13oz, with only one fish separating the frame; it was a tight match.

Jim Baines gave some of his floats he has specifically designed for the venue. I thought it was interesting that he recognised the importance of wire stems. Thanks Jim I will give them a try.

Well my blog was late being published this weekend as Glenn and I got stuck on the motorway going home. However, it did give a chance to plan our trip to Whiteacres.

Full Result:

1. Shaun Ketteridge 71-05-0 peg Yar46
2. Glenn Bailey 60-13-0 peg Dab16
3. Steve Kedge 59-11-0 peg Dab20
4. Lance Tucker 58-15-0 peg Yar15
5. Mark Broomsgrove 51-12-0 peg Dab22
6. Tony Goodland 45-12-0 peg Yar26

No comments: