Monday 23 March 2009

Sunday 23/03/2009 - Hillview Open

Well it was a Hillview “double header” this weekend. I decided to go back for the Sunday open, as it was planned for the canals. It being Mothers Day I felt a bit guilty going fishing and leaving Brenda on her own. I also woke with a bunged up nose and a splitting head ache, after a few disprins I still decided to go.

It was nice to see some old and new faces in attendance. However, it was sad to hear of the passing on of Terry Parker. He was an excellent Angler and well respected in the West Midlands; we had many a peg and canal battle at Hillview, with the honours about even (I can hear disagreeing). Terry often came good late in the match, so you needed to keep an eye on him. Rest in peace matey you and your humour will be missed.

It was a good turn out with all four canals needed. I drew peg 72 on the third Canal, which I was pleased with (photograph right shows my peg). I set up one rig for over, one paste and light pellet rig for down the “track”. I fed two lines over and lightly fed down the track. I started quite well with a run of Tench and a few stockies down the track. Most anglers had gone straight over and were also catching well. The track died, so I tried over and had a few more Tench and a 3lb Carp. For some reason the Carp were cruising around and only settling in the middle pegs. The lad (the subsquent winner) on peg 74 was catching good size Carp to 3lb tight over, fishing meat. It was interesting to see him texting on his phone and striking at the same time – not seen this before! At half way my head ache had returned and the swim had completely died (as had most end pegs). As I couldn’t see it improving and having about 12lb in the net I decided to pack up and leave early (bloody conscience – did I throw any section winnings away - no!). On packing up Bill eat all my remaining bait - sweet corn, expander pellet, etc… he will have a belly ache in the morning. After I packed the car I felt there was something missing – there was, my rear pole roller – lucky enough Keith found it and is keeping it for me.

Full Result:

1. Jake Cork 58-03-0 peg 74 (that’s Jake third angler down in the above photograph)
2. Dave Gregg 53-14-0 peg 67
3. Tony Gibbs 46-02-0 peg 57
4. Bryan Gallagher 39-10-0 peg 50
5. Gary Clark 37-10-0 peg 41

No comments: