Sunday 1 March 2009

Sunday 01/03/2009 - Viaduct Winter League Teams of Five - Round Four

Captain George had a nasty car accident during the week, so much so, the fire brigade needed to cut him from his car. However, he was physically fit enough to fish (complete with bandaged arm - see photo below), albeit shaken up.

It was my turn on Spring Lake. Captain George drew me peg 13. Ask anyone I am not superstitious! What made things worse is was a corner peg (well almost). I was hopeful of a few decent Skimmers on dead maggot over ground bait and perhaps some decent Ronnie’s on the caster. I was instructed by Captain George to try for Carp down the edge in to the corner. So I set up two rigs at 13 metres, one for Ronnie’s over caster and the other for Skimmers. I also set up the waggler for well down in to the corner edge. I stated by putting in one orange size ball of GB at 1 o clock and twenty or so casters at 11 o clock. I followed this up with ten pieces of sweet corn into the far left hand corner. I started over the GB with double dead maggot (well nearly dead – I had a chuckle to myself, remembering the hours I have spent over thirty years trying to keep maggots alive and in pristine condition – the maggots today have been in a plastic bag submerged in water with no air, in my fridge for twenty four hours and - blimey they are still wriggling!). I had a few Ronnie’s and a 12 oz Skimmer before the wind picked up – blowing from my right to left. The wind made it difficult to present and got increasingly stronger. I find it particularly difficult to pick up the tow in shallow water (three foot). I think the tow is proportionate to the depth versus the wind force. Anyway the Silvers dried up. So out on the caster line – nothing; I didn’t have a bite on the caster, can you believe this!! Remembering my instructions I went on to the waggler down the edge with sweet corn. Again, the presentation wasn’t right. I decided to set up the straight lead with hair rigged bread. I started my usual count to sixty and on the count of four hooked an 8lb Carp. As the Silvers had dried up I decided to stay on the lead, but didn’t have another bite. With my 4lb of Silvers I weighed 12lb, which gave me 12 points from the twenty on offer.


The team (pictured right - L to R: Matthew Cardwell, Me, Bela Bacos, Darren Baker and Captain George Perkins; I must ask what size shoes George takes) had a mediocre draw, but we again managed to beat Avon Angling with 57 points to their 55. This put us 8th on the day, keeping us in 11th position overall with 212, just six points behind Avon Angling.

The match was won from peg 110 by Tony Creech with 55lb 13 oz of Carp. Runner from peg 97 was Tim Pallant (pictured lower right) with 51lb 11 oz, again a mainly Carp catch.

The Silvers was won by Steve Kedge; you guessed it from peg 123 - again, with 30lb 7oz. He draw this peg next league match - or can he cast a spell!!!

Full Results:

1. Tony Creech 55-13-0 peg 110
2. Tim Pallant 51-11-0 peg 97
3. Nigel Easton 43-12-0 peg 131
4. Greg Victor 41-09-0 peg tba
5. Tony Rixon 38-11-0m peg 52
6. Andy Lloyd 38-06-0 peg 1 (good weight off this peg)

Top Silvers:

1. Steve Kedge 30-07-0 peg 123
2. Bob Gullick 20-06-0 peg 18
3. Steve Denmead 16-06-0 peg 77
4. Kev Perry 13-02-0 peg 125

Teams on the Day:

1. Somerset Angling 84
2. Viaduct Select 81
3. Mosella Sedges 77
4. Garbolino BMG 70
5. Team Keyford 66
6. Maver Veals Red 63
7. Reels and Deals 60
8. Viaduct Allstars 57

Teams Overall:

1. Somerset Angling 291
2. Viaduct Select 257
3. Maver Veals Red 236
4. Sensas Thyers 231
4. Westerleigh Blue 231
6. Garbolino BMG 227
……
11. Viaduct Allstars 212

No comments: