Wednesday 4 February 2009

Wednesday 04/02/2009 - Carps AC - Huntstrete - Withy Pool

Well the weather goes from bad to worse; should I go, or, should I do a couch potato? Although the first test was starting in Jamaica I decided to go, well the temperature had risen to zero! I was amazed to find another nine lunatics’ who had braved the conditions. The conditions made pegging easy - where swims were ice free. This was pegs 69 through to pegs 59 (photograph right shows the clear areas (far top) and the prevailing conditions).

Last Thursday I had a pleasure session on peg 67 and had 30lb of Skimmers, plus two Carp. I recon that 10% of the Skimmers had Cormorant spear marks on them – a bit worrying. So, any peg around this area would be good. In fact I drew peg 69, which was the first peg next to the ice. I was well pleased. I started at top set plus four sections – two swims – a light rig up to the edge of the ice, over caster and one out in front with pellet. It took me two hours to get my first bite - a micro Perch. Other than pegs 69 and 68 (Bill Ferris) everyone caught Carp. I ended up with six Ronnie’s and one Perch for 8oz and won the Silvers by default with 8oz and a pick up of £35. Bill Ferris had one Ronnie (DNW). The only other Silver fish caught was a 3lb 14oz Bream by the match winner John Bennett (pictured right with his Bream) from peg 67.

John Bennett (Photograph bottom right with one of his Carp) weighed an amazing 60lb 4oz. John caught at 13 metres using maggot and 4mm expander pellet over micro pellet.

Runner up was Andy Curry with 48lb 12oz from peg 66. Andy fished 10 metres with Corn.

Full Result:
  
1. John Bennett 60-04-0 peg 67
2. Andy Curry 48-12-0 peg 66
3. Bob Price 28-0-0 peg 62
4. Colin Golding 26-12-0 peg 60
5. Andy Gard 9-12-0 peg 64
6. Bob Warren 5-02-0 peg 61

Top Silvers:

1. John Bennett 3-14-0 peg 67
2. Mike Nicholls 0-8-0 peg 69

No comments: