Thursday 19 February 2009

Sunday 25/08/1974 - Ridgeway AA Browning Cup - Bath Town Waters

My first match win

My first match win was the Ridgeway AA contest fished on the Bristol Avon – Bath Town waters behind the Winsor Castle Public house.

Headlines and write up in the Bristol Evening Post:
“Mike Pips dad for top spot”

“Mike Nicholls took points off his dad Ivor when Ridgeway and District AA held their Browning Cup match.
Mike total at the end of the day was 4lb 1oz, well clear of father Ivor’s 3lb 2oz, which won dad the second place.


Bob Merrick came third with 1lb 14oz; Bob is Vice Chairman of the Association.
The Juvenile cup was won by Stephen Merrick, with 1lb 5oz, and Andrew Saunders took second with 1lb.
The clubs league positions after four matches – and three to come – are headed by Dick Chappell (28 points), Pete Hathway (30) and Pete Shellard (34).”


1. Mike Nicholls 4lb 1oz
2. Ivor Nicholls 3lb 2oz
3. B Merrick 1lb 14oz
4. P Shellard 1lb 9oz
5. D Chappell 1lb 8oz
6. S Merrick 1lb 5oz

This week the club announced their winter league team. It is:


Brian Bateman
Merv Brown
Dick Chappell
Maurice Coggins
Reuben Jefferies
Ivor Nicholls
Mike Nicholls
Bob Merrick
Ron Morris
Mike Talbot
Bob Walker
Arthur Warren

Reserves:
Andy McEwan
Dave Clutterbuck!
Steve Merrick
Pete Shallard
Pete Lewis


Extract from the Angling Times:
“A Father and son team swept the board in Ridgeway’s Browning Cup match fished on the Bristol Avon at bath, taking first and second place.
Bristol Engineer Mike Nicholls weighed in 4lb 1oz of Roach, Dace and Chub for victory. Closely followed by his Father, Ivor Nicholls, with 3lb 2oz.
A Father and son team swept the board in Ridgeway’s Browning Cup match fished on the Bristol Avon at bath, taking first and second place. Bristol Engineer Mike Nicholls weighed in 4lb 1oz of Roach, Dace and Chub for victory. Closely followed by his Father, Ivor Nicholls, with 3lb 2oz.”

1. Mike Nicholls 4lb 1oz
2. Ivor Nicholls 3lb 2oz
3. B Merrick 1lb 14oz
4. P Shellard 1lb 9oz
5. D Chappell 1lb 8oz
6. S Merrick 1lb 5oz


After 39 years this match is still vivid in my mind. I fished a home made float (very similar to the top and bottom floats Terry Bruton was using with Bread) – fished “Nottingham style”. In today’s words - the “Waggler”. I remember not catching much until I started to feed hemp. Towards the end of the match I was catching small Dace regularly (swim pictured below right).
Oh yes, and this was first time I beat Dad. I fondly remember reading the following write up in the Angling Times with much satisfaction, especially with our result being so far ahead of the rest. I think dad was just as pleased. I caught all Dace - forget the press spin on things – there were no Chub in the river back then or I couldn’t tell the difference! The Browning Cup was solid silver, which was typical of the trophies back then.

So Dad and I made it into the Winter League Team. Dave Clutterbuck only making reserve; can’t be right!

I can’t wait to fish my fish my first team match.

No comments: