Monday 2 February 2009

Sunday 01/02/2009 - Viaduct Winter League Teams of Five - Round Two

The Forecasters unfortunately got it right (for once) bitterly cold Easterly wind blowing in from Siberia.

Knowing that I would be pegged on Lodge Lake I really wanted a peg with the wind on my back. I was thinking pegs 59 to 64 would be idea. Guess what I got my wish, once again. I drew 64 on the “Monk” (pictured right). However, I think the fish know when your heart isn’t in it, or they look for cover under the ripple. I wasn’t up for this.

I had heard Steve Long (pictured right) had taken up fishing again, so asked him the question – it was great to hear he had won the Carps AC Silvers the previous week. Steve had also drawn on Lodge, peg 59. I thought of having a pound side bet with him, and then thought better of it – he must know every peg on his fishery.

Captain George, explained that there were Carp to be had by fishing either the waggler or 17.5 metres of pole between the two goal post (top left of the above picture). Well, I did try double red maggot at 16 metres to no avail. The waggler I could get tight in, in fact I could regularly hit the right hand post with my waggler, but no goals. The skimming wind soon dragged the float off station.
However, I did have a Silvers plan up my sleeve. I really did expect to catch a few Skimmers and Ronnies. However, I couldn’t get a bite. After four hours I started to think about what colour text would be best to put “BLANKED” in my blog when I had a lift bite, which resulted in a Motherless Minnow (Leucaspius delineatus or Belica), or sometimes known as "Sunbleak" or "Sundace". In any case the critter came off shipping back. A least I now had a target species! Before I go further, I need to explain something’s above these Critters – they are extremely difficult to catch. They are similar to a two inch river Dace, but quicker! So on the hook goes a flouro Pinkie; this should do it! Not a bite! Back to the big red maggot and another lift bite and the second Motherless on the hook; again shipping back it comes off. You have to realise that you don’t always hook these fish; they more often have the maggot stuck in their mouths. So next time it would be the old Canal and Perch trick (where the Perch has only the end of the worm in its mouth) of lifting clear of the water and swinging to the bank; no unshipping, as the water pressure pulls the gob stopper free. On the next lift bite, a steady lift and a gentle swing to the bank and at least one point in the bag. I did the same on the next put in, and then back to 16 metres for a Carp. At the weigh in I left the scales men discussing whether it was half ounce of one ounce; I will never know now. I think I ended up third last in the section.

The team did really well from an average draw, with the youngsters’ doing the business. Viaduct All-stars finished joint fifth with 61 points. We were one of the few teams to all weigh in. This result moves us up from 11th to 9th overall with 111 points. Well done lads, I hope I can contribute more next time.


The match was won by Simon (Ditch) Hebditch (pictured right) with 91lb 5oz from peg 102 Cary. Ditch caught on the straight lead with punched bread on the hook.

The Silvers was won by John Dursley from peg 60 with just 7lb 8oz of Skimmers.

And ..... Steve Long was 5th in the Silvers with 5lb 6oz of Skimmers caught on the caster and waggler.

Full Result:

1. Simon (Ditch) Hebditch 91-05-0 peg 102
2. Matt Tainton 55-0-0 peg 77
3. John Green 45-05-0 peg 86
4. Nicky Collins 40-04-0 peg 130
5. Dave Roper 39-11-0 peg 73
6. Joss Garrett 38-12-0 peg 96

Top Silvers:

1. John Dursley 7-08-0 peg 60
2. Keith (Mash) Mashender 7-04-0 peg 113
3. Steve Mayo 6-10-0 peg 103

Top Teams on the Day:

1. Westerleigh Blue 78
2. Somerset Angling 68
3. Viaduct Select 65
4. Garbolino BMG 62
5. Fox Match 61
5. Viaduct All-Stars 61

Top Teams Overall:

1. Somerset Angling 153
2. Viaduct Elite 129
3. Westerleigh Blue 123
4. Maver Veals Red 122
5. Sensas 119
...........
9. Viaduct All-Stars 111

No comments: