Sunday 18 January 2009

Sunday 17/01/2009 - Viaduct Winter League Teams of Five - Round One

Today was the first match of five matches in the Viaduct Winter League. Which comprises 20 teams of five (100 pegs). I am fishing for the “Viaduct All Stars”. The team:

George Perkins (Captain)
Matthew Cardwell
Darren Baker
Bela Bakos
Mike Nicholls


Last winter league they were named the Viaduct Juniors! I suppose it’s my fault (ageism) they felt the need for change – a bit disappointed really – I have never fished for a junior side!

The league is based on drawing your section/lake for the first match then moving a section every match; so today I drew Carey 99; so next match I will be on a peg, to be drawn, on Lodge Lake (great it’s a float only section). The match pools are paid to the top four in each section; plus a super pool run by Clayton Hudson, comprising of £5 Silvers and £5 overall.

I was instructed by Captain George to fish the straight lead with a ring of ten maggots. I explained that I didn’t have a ring. So off to the peg, where I found the wind blowing right to left, at 11 o clock. I decided that the waggler was not in contention due to the skimming wind, so set up a light GB feeder with 0.14 hook length and 18 hook for single and double dead maggot. I also set up the straight lead for hair rigged double sweet corn. I decide not to set up the pole as I knew the team method was out and out straight lead, you need at least one Carp for reasonable points. I started on the GB feeder with double dead maggot, which resulted in a 1oz Ronnie. So with 1 point in the bag, out went the double corn. Surprise, a bite first cast, and a foul hooked Carp lost after about one minute. Never mind, re-baited and out again. Again , another bite, which I missed. NOW THE CONFESSION; on winding in I found that the fish I had previously foul hooked had straighten the hook, which I didn’t notice whilst baiting up (ven with my glasses on), DUH! There is the first time for everything. I didn’t have another bite on the straight lead, so at 12.30 I decided enough was enough so set up the pole. I fished dead red maggot over ground bait for a Silvers weight of 5lb 6oz. I don’t think this gave me many points; but time will tell.

Considering the "All Stars" returned some low points the team finished a credible joint 11th with 50 points (averaging 10 points per man - half way).

Ben Heath (pictured right with this beautiful 16lb 8oz Common Carp) was in my section on peg 96 and caught Carp steady all day for section winning weight of 47lb 14oz. Ben caught on treble hair rigged sweet corn.

The match was won by Alex Murray with 64lb 9oz from in-form peg 131. Runner up was Mash (pictured centre right) with 61lb 15oz from peg 7 - Spring Lake. Mash fished treble maggot long down to the left had weed bed.

The Silvers was won by Tony Rixon (picture bottom right with some say his "look alike" son Tom Thick – I don’t think so, the sense of humour and moaning differentiates the two – by the way Tony says doesn’t drink) with 16lb 12oz from peg 123 on Campbell. Tony caught on the pole fishing caster and sweet corn over lose fed caster at both 16 metres (because he can) and 14.5 metres. His catch included a whopping 3lb Perch (caught close in with double caster) and two Tench!! I was also Tony’s birthday 49 today; happy birthday mate!!

Full Result Overall:


1. Alex Murray 64-09-0 peg 131
2. Mash 61-15-0 peg 7
3. Steve Kedge 59-05-0 peg 73
4. James Knight 57-13-0 peg 42
5. Mark Broomsgrove 53-14-0 peg 132
6. Ben Heath 47-14-0 peg 96

Top Silvers:

1. Tony Rixon 16-02-0 peg 123
2. Chris Davis 16-04-0 peg 67
3. Nicky Collins 10-11-0 peg 19

Top Teams (points):

1. Somerset Angling 85
2. Sensas Thyers 72
3. Viaduct Select 69
4. Maver veals Red 66
5. Team Viaduct 64
6. Avon Angling 64
7. Reels & Deals 60
8. Garbolino Bmg 56
9. Teams Veals 52
10. Team Keyford 51

No comments: