Wednesday 19 November 2008

Wednesday 19/11/08 Avon Angling Open - Landsend Fishery

I had other plans for today, well Brenda did, new Christmas lights for the tree are needed (they have been OK for the last five years). That was until John Bennett Rang, asking, if I would like to fish Rixon's rip off at Landsend and travel down with him. I couldn't help myself. Re-negotiated the shopping for Saturday with Brenda.

I have fished Landsend Match and Specimen nine times this year and have drawn corner pegs five times. This excludes pegs 25 (which I have never fished) and peg 12 (which I have drawn once, some time back)! Today, guess what drew corner peg 33 (make that six out of ten (60% cornered)). I hate corner pegs. Today especially, as a strong Westerly wind was blowing in to the corner, which made fishing the pole only possible at five metres. To cut three hundred and thirty minutes short I only managed 3lb 12oz of small Ronnies on dead maggot. I was pipped to the Silvers pool by Mike Duckett who weighed 4lb 8oz. On next peg 34 was Gary Wall. During the match Gary's top five became detached and blew in to my peg. Which I helped him recover, Gary kindly gave me the 1 oz Roach that he had on the end as a thank you! Gary did his best to fish over at sixteen metres, only to break his number six section. Again the five and half metres of pole blew in to my swim, alas no Ronnie gift this time!

The match was won by Nick Duckett (pictured right with a double common carp) from in form peg 31 with 75lb 14oz of quality Carp. Nick fished maggot at sixteen metres to the point of the island. This now gives Nick two wins on the trot.

The Silvers was won by Tony Rixon with 12lb 2oz from peg 25. Tony fished seventeen metres (must have been flat calm then!) one metre off the end margin (slightly up the shelf).

Full result:

1. Nick Duckett 75-14-0 peg 31
2. Tony Rixon 47-07-0 peg 25 (flat calm)
3. Colin Dyer 14-08-0 peg 27
4. John Bennett 11-0-0 peg 29
5. Tim Clark 9-14-0 peg 36
6. Mike Duckett 4-08-0 peg 38

Top Silvers:

1. Tony Rixon 12-02-0 peg 25 (flat calm)
2. Nick Duckett 8-12-0 peg 31
3. Mike Duckett 4-08-0 peg 38 (picked up Silvers pool - by double default)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you sound bitter and twistedto me as you peg has loads of form as a silvers peg but you need to look beyond 4 mtrs