Sunday 5 October 2008

Sunday 05/10/08 - Veals Teams of Four Winter League Round 2 - Bullocks Farm


This league is run single handed by Ken Rayner (pictured top right). I must say that he does a really good job, his spreadsheets are just brilliant. I also noted that for the second time Ken has won his five peg section (worth £40) - well done!

It was good to see Josh Garrett back fishing after his burns accident.
I had heard that the Carp lake was fishing well for Ronnies with pleasure catches of 40 - 50lb, so was hoping to draw here, a lake I've not fished before. Failing that, I didn't really mind. I drew peg 5 on Rushcombe, the only other lake (snake canal) I had not fished on the complex (ignoring South Pool). I was informed that there were a lot of Gold Fish (4 drms to 8oz) in this section and they were to count as Silvers!! Um, I think it worth clarifying that they are definitely not the Gold Fish, as per in "tank, pond and Fairground". I believe they are a Chinese Koi, a cross breed with a Crucian. These are identical fish that can be found at Sangria la. Where do they come from? Tony Rixon was on also on Rushcombe peg 2, so I was sure of at least two points then! I met Bob Warren having breakfast in the Lilypool Cafe and he told me that paste was worth a try for the bigger Carp (up to 3lb). So set up a paste rig for the margins and a 4x12 Jolly for down the track. I also set up a 4x8 TBF Cult far bank rig in case the fish backed off. I started with the Jolly on the top set with 4mm GOT expander on the hook over loose fed wet micro. I had a few Silvers (sorry Golds), but was missing too many bites. So I changed to a wet micro pellet on the hook and kept the fish coming for about four hours. I did occasionally try the paste, but only caught the same stamp of fish. In the last hour it slowed on the top set, so tried across. In the last hour I added about 4lb using maggot over maggot (you need a very robust bait fishing accross). I weighed 12lb of Carp and 16lb 10oz of Silvers for a total weight of 28lb -10oz. This gave me fourth in the section and first in the "Silverolds" for a pick up of £120. Tony was fifth in the section with 27lb, I'm amazed how many pound side bets Tony collects after the match - haven't they learnt yet!

The team was eighth overall with 32 points. Charlies Angel's are now 6th overall with 21 points. Team captain, Charlie Barnes coming last in section on the Carp lake with 1lb 5oz - No Ronnies then!

The match was won by Ryan Shipp (of the Des Shipp clan - no photo as he left before the result) with 74lb 7oz of Carp from North Pool peg 11.

Full Results:

Carp:

1. Ryan Shipp 74-07-0 peg NP 11
2. Pete Sivell 63-07-0 peg Rush 15
3. Anton Page 44-02-0 peg Carp 11
4. Brian Slipper 36-12-0 NP 1 (must get a photo)

Silvers:

1. Mike Nicholls 16-10-0 peg Rush 5
2. Dean Malin 15-15-0 peg Carp 10
3. Mark Broomsgrove 14-13-0 peg match 3
4. Martin Pettifore 14-0-0 peg match 18

No comments: