Sunday 28 September 2008

Sunday 28/09/2008 Carps AC - Carpsmania Final - Rood Ashton

This was the final of Carps AC Carpsmania. Twenty anglers had won through over the year. The prize money was £1,000 for the highest overall weight and £500 for the Silvers. So not really fishing for runner up then! However, with a lots of speculation in the media with regards to the Bradford & Bingley of which I am both a shareholder and saver I had more on my mind than the £1,000. As I write this am still waiting on an announcement from HMG - Gordon Brown PM. This is the man who resided over the period that lead to the "credit crunch" as Chancellor - who described himself "Prudent". Um!

Back to the match, I drew peg 15 which was in the top right hand corner form the car park. I knew that Silvers getting first or second in the Silvers was unlikely, I focused on the Carp (not until I caught four Ronnies for 8oz though!). After plumbing around in 18 inches of water - at best, I wasn't sure of catching enough Carp either. However, I went for Carp on paste over 6mm soft pellet, which result in seven carp to 6lb, then the tractors arrived behind my peg (three tractors to be precise), and the swim went dead (bow waves back to the island). In the last hour when things got quieter , I had another ten cap for a total weight of 68lb 12oz and eighth in the match. Taking everything in to account I was fairly satisfied with this weight. My 8oz of Ronnies got me sixth in the Silvers!!

Everyone wanted end peg 20, which was through the thicket and half the lake to draw fish from.

Andy Neal (pictured left) drew the peg and made no mistakes, winning the match with 154lb 14oz. Andy fished paste over 6mm hard pellet, feeding about two pints throughout.

Ray Hayward (pictured below left) lost out by a mere 11lb 4oz. Ray weighed 143lb from peg 17. Ray caught most of his fish in the RH margin on meat fished over loose fed hard pellet. I am sure Ray will be travelling home, thinking of the Carp he lost.

John Bradford (pictured below right) could not believe his luck drawing peg 4 - a out and out Silvers area, and surrounded by Carp Slayers. Again John made no mistakes catching 26lb 14oz of quality Roach on caster. John latch into only two Carp throughout the day - takes some doing on this venue!



Full Result:

1. Andy Neal 154-14-0 peg 20 (£1,080)
2. Ray Hayward 143-0-0 peg 17
3. Jamie Smith 135-12-0 peg 18
4. Alan Oram 127-04-0 peg 5
5. Steve Seagar 97-06-0 peg 13
6. Mike Owens 96-02-0 peg 1

Top Silvers:

1. John Bradford 26-14-0 peg 4 (£560)
2. Bob Gullick 11-04-0 peg 9

No comments: