Friday 19 September 2008

Sunday 21/09/08 - Veals Teams of Four Winter League Round 1 - Chilton Trinity - Wildmarsh and Woodlands

Arrived at the draw at 08:00 and was amazed to find Charlie Barnes already there and on his third fag and fourth coffee. There were three sections of fifteen on Wildmarsh and one section of fifteen on Woodlands - everyone was hoping to be on Woodlands as all the top Carps weights were expected from there, (as the results now confirm). I drew peg A9 on Wildmarsh, the map I was given identified A9 as permanent peg 15 (or so I thought). Arrived at peg 15 - and was greeted with rustling reeds in the end margin - so set up a paste rig - yippee. Ah, wrong peg and I was moved to peg 9 - what a difference - no margin and couldn't get close to the water - or get my nets in properly. The Carp net I hung over the boards, the silvers in the gap between the bank and the boards!! After the match I spoke to the owners they assured me it was their next job - we will see. I had my team instructions from captain Barnes, which I religiously kept to (honest I am Church of England!). I caught most of my fish at 10.5 metres (from the bank!) on worm or double caster. My biggest fish was an Eel of 2 pound plus hooked in the pectoral fin, whilst getting the hook out I had a nip from him! I weighed 10lb 5oz, which comprised of eight different species of fish - Crucian, Common Carp, Golden Rudd, Roach, Chub, Perch, Eel, Skimmer. This gave me fourth in the section and twelve team points. I was beat by a Carp for my five peg section. I enjoyed the match, but the jury is out on the amount of fish in the Lake - recognising that I have only fished the venue in flat calm and bright sunny conditions - we will see next year. As to peg 15, the lad weighed less than 2lb!

The individual pools payouts are based on Silvers weight only and Carp weight only - with section points counted on combined weight. Both the Silvers and Carp weights paying equally the top four in each category. The combined over winner gets nothing. As it happens today that was Clayton Hudson (pictured bottom left) with 62lb 2oz from Woodlands peg 30. Clayton did pick up the second Carp weight with 60lb 14oz. Clayton caught on his usual chopped worm and caster.

Rod Wotton (pictured bottom right) won the Carp weight with 61lb 11oz from Woodlands peg 20.

The Silvers was won by team mate Rich Coles (pictured bottom/bottom left) with 32lb 7oz of Skimmers and Bream from Woodlands peg 12. Rich caught all his fish on paste.
On the team front Charlie's Angels were fourth overall with 41 points. Not a bad start.


Full Results:

Carp (All Woodlands):
1. Rod Wotton 61-11-0 peg 20
2. Clayton Hudson 60-14-0 peg 30
3. Steve Jackson 53-10-0 peg 9
4. Julian Heavan 52-10-0 peg 4

Silvers:

1. Rich Coles 32-07-0 Woodlands peg 12
2. Bryan Shanks 17-04-0 Wildmarsh peg 25
3. Ken Rainer 13-04-0 Wildmarsh peg 30
4. Dave Dunstan 12-04-0 Wildmarsh peg 29

Top Teams:

1. Avon Angling 48
2. Westerleigh Blue 46
3. Team Veals 43
4. Charlie's Angels 41

No comments: