Sunday 14 September 2008

Sunday 14/09/08 - Chilton Trinity Open - Wildmarsh

I have signed up with "Charlies Angels" for the forth coming Veals Teams of Four Winter League. The team comprises Myself, Tom Thick, Rich Coles and team captain Charlie Barnes. The league is fished on commercial fisheries - Chilton Trinity, Bullocks Farm, Landsend, Viaduct and a week ender at Stafford Moor. Today was a practice match for the league match next Sunday.


This is the first time I have fished the venue. Before the draw I walked Wildmarsh with Tony Rixon. I thought the lake was picturesque. However, I was concerned that the lake was flat calm, usually without some tow the Skimmers shut up shop. I really love fishing a venue for the first time, I like working it out. I had plenty of information - too much really. I decided to target the Ronnies and Skimmers. The Skimmers was to be chopped worm and caster with worm on the hook and the Ronnies the 4 metre whip and small waggler.


I drew peg 47 which I was happy with, as it was in open water. I started on the chopped worm and caster and had plenty of missed bites from the Ronnie Roach. I went quickly on to the whip with caster and started to put a few Ronnies to 3oz together. I can't believe how many bites I missed today. The fish did the odd disappearing act. I struggled with both methods and weighed 7lb 8oz which included one small skimmer on the worm. However, I think I have learnt quite a bit for next weeks team match - we'll see!


The match was won by team mate Tom Thick (pictured top right) with 26lb 9 oz from peg 26. Tom's weight also included a 11lb carp from the margin.


The Silvers was won by Gary Bedford (pictured bottom left) from peg 50 with 19lb 6oz of quality Skimmers. Gary caught both long and short with either soft pellet over pellet or chopped worm and caster with worm on the hook.


Full Result:


1. Tom Thick 26-09-0 peg 26
2. Steve Priest 22-08-0 peg 18
3. Nick Harvey 21-04-0 peg 21
4. Gary Bedford 19-06-0 peg 50
5. Dean Mallin 18-15-0 peg 10
6. Nick Collins 18-11-0 peg 13


Top Silvers:


1. Gary Bedford 19-06-0 peg 50
2. Nick Collins 15-04-0 peg 13
3. Julian Heaven 14-04-0 peg 37

No comments: