Sunday 13 July 2008

Weekend 12th and 13th July 08

Took the weekend off from fishing for some essential maintenance on my top sets. The elastics were, to say the least, in poor condition. To cut a very long story short I spent five hours trying to get bungs stuck in top sets out. The bung on one top set was so badly struck I had to cut one top set and carry out a repair. The bungs are all Vespe and I observed that they had all deformed inside the top set - bellowing out. I discussed the problem with Tony Rixon, he had also, experienced similar problems. So, on Tony's advice I will now start changing to the Drennan winder bungs. After every match I will not only give the used top set down a wipe down, but also pull the bung out and give it a clean.

Darren Gillman was off this weekend to the Angling Times Final on the river Nene with his Bathampton Team - led by Kev Dicks. Darren drew peg 99 on the North Bank (not the place to draw - others only seem to remember his good draws). Darren did well weighing 14oz 12 drams. His catch consisted of one Perch and a number of Roach juveniles, caught on the whip feeding slop with bloodworm hook bait. I previously fished this final with Avon Angling and said after the last match I would never fish the venue again (I was forced to fish on top of submerged dense Lilly pads catching Bleak blades on joker - this is not fishing as I understand it - what river venue should need B&J to avoid blanking in July?). This venue is an absolute disgrace for such a spectacle. There's no doubt this venue is chosen for convenience of the organisers rather than the participating Anglers. If Angling Times are serious about this League then they must change the venue next year, otherwise the League will continue on it's demise! Bathampton finished 7th overall, beating Thatcher's off the next peg - not a bad result - well done lads.

It was nice to get an e-mail from my good friend and fellow ex Avon Angling team mate Andrew Floyd. I knew he had been resting from match angling and going woolly hooking (his "Pink Floyd" lure is devastating - should you be lucky enough to get one from him - I did, but had to hand it back after the session!). What I didn't know is that he had joined the Camo and Bivvey brigade. Andy sent me the attached picture (top right - Andy is the one with glasses) with a 21lb 7oz Mirror carp, caught at Hunstrete Lake. Not as good as his 22lb Ghost Carp caught on his Diawa Pro pole in a match at The Sedges Peg 11 (Glenn Bailey must have been on holiday). I remember the catch well with Andy needing to stand of his seat box to land it! My biggest regret that day was not having my camera with me. Andy is one of the great all round anglers. Get back to Match fishing mate, it's missing you.

Whilst we are on the subject of ex Avon Angling team members - Tim Ford (now Preston Thatcher's) on Saturday fished the Bristol Avon at Newbridge. Tim elected to fish peg 10 in the small field. This is his report:

"I went to Newbridge and after I had managed to run across the road bridge and avoid an oncoming bus I then had to fight my way through 8ft tall weeds and plants. If I had taken a trolley I wouldn't have got through! Got settled into peg 10 and as the river was chocolate and pacey just set a feeder up (plus I had no river pole rigs made up). In all I had 5 bream from 2.5lb to 5lb, roach and perch to 10oz, small hybrids, 1 eel and a chublet!
Had bites virtually every cast, but started in close and this died after 3 hours so went further out and had a bite first chuck.
It was nice and relaxing, very peaceful except for when unbeknown to me a dog had got right behind me and then barked in my left ear, I nearly fell in and told the owner that I nearly had a heart attack!
Just goes to prove there are stacks of fish in the river, as long as there is colour they'll feed."

No comments: