Wednesday 9 July 2008

Wednesday 09/07/2008 Carps AC - Sedges - Brick Lake

I heard today that Pete Hodge passed away last week. I for one will miss him - one of the great characters in Angling and a superb Bream angler - rest in peace matey.

Why do Skimmers and Bream fly when hooked? I have found this an interesting phenomenon. I have never experienced this on rivers, canals or non commercial lakes over 40 years of catching Bream. Flying only seems to occur on commercial waters with a good head of Carp to double figures.

It was whilst fishing the Thursday rover match at Whiteacres that I believe I found the answer. I drew my usual peg 135 rover position to draw and decided on the last peg left of Sycamore Lake peg 12. Having thrashed about with the pellet waggler for a while I decided to fish paste at 10 metres, over micro pellet. This resulted in a string of Bream to 3lb. None of these fish flew, and then one did. The next fish was a 6lb Carp! The next few Bream again didn’t fly, then one did. Guess what a 4lb Carp followed.

I was fishing about nine foot deep and it took from having an indication on the float to the Bream breaking the surface of the water less than a second! For a Bream to swim to the surface in this time means it must surely already be swimming quite fast prior to taking the bait.

I have concluded the answer to the question is that the Bream are driven a short distance and most probably up in the water away from the feed by intruding Carp. The Bream sees the hook bait and takes the opportunity to swoop at speed for it and take it on the move in the attempt to avoid the Carp. The Bream then swims on towards the surface until it leaves the water. This also appears to happen more (and fly higher) the deeper the water.

I don’t often loose Bream due to them flying. This is mainly due to the pole elastic keeping the line tight to the fish. I am sure it would be a different story using running line.
Any Floyd and I tried to catch a flying Bream on video without any luck. However, two flying Skimmers cost me the magic 50 lb today.

Back to the Sedges already. It was nice to most of the anglers back again, shows how good the fishing is. I travelled with Darren Gillman (pictured bottom left) and ended up next to him. Darren on peg 4 and me on peg 5. It's not very often you can use groung bait and maggot on theis venue without gettin Ronnied out. However, The Ronnies had not been feeding so started on this combination. Darren followed and we borth fished similar matches. Cutting out my sob stories Darren won the Silvers with 48lb and I came second with 47lb 5oz for a pick up of £30.

The match winner was Mark Hanham from peg 9 with 133lb 2oz. Mark started on the feeder which produced four Carp then at the two hour mark started to catch Carp to double figures on the pellet waggler. I predicted Mark to win, others were favouring Steve Jackson on end peg 15.


Full Result:

1. Mark Hanham 133-02-0 peg 9
2. Adrian Bishop 61-10-0 peg 6 (to avoid a Duck Adrian put two in his keep net!)
3. Darren Gillman 49-14-0 peg 4
4. Colin Goldin 47-14-0 peg 14
5. Mike Nicholls 47-05-9 peg 5
6. Roy Short 41-06-0 peg 13

Top Silvers:

1. Darren Gillman 48-0-0 peg 4
2. Mike Nicholls 47-05-0 peg 5
3. Richard Cole 34-0-0 peg 8 (Richard qualifies for the Carps Wednesday Silvermania)

No comments: