Monday 21 July 2008

Monday 21 July 2008 - Rowland Poole Open - Boyd Valley lake


I was a little jaded after yesterday's match, but I was looking forward to my return to Boyd Valley Lake after a one year lay off. During 2006 I broke the match record on an evening series three times consecutive, accumulating with 108 lb in three and half hours. This lake is an unusual bright colour red, which stains absolutely everything. I am sure that the local natives use it to paint their faces during festive seasons. I have kept one set of net for this venue and have attached a picture (bottom right) of my Preston Silvers net - now dyed red!

Today I drew peg 5, the deepest peg on the lake, and not one of my favourites. However, it is usually good for Skimmers to two pound. I decided to start after the Ronnies on caster and soon decided they were a bit small (1 to 2oz). Went out on the Skimmer line and caught a few small Skimmers to 10oz, the Skimmers weren't having it. So back to the Ronnies. I tried on and off for the Skimmers , but predominately stay with the Ronnies. I did manage to land a 5lb 8oz Common Carp on the caster rig. I weighed 20lb of Silvers and a 5lb 8oz Carp for 25lb 8oz for first in the Silvers and joint second overall with Bob "The Bread" Price, and a pick up of £20 um!!!

Kevin Dicks (pictured top right - note the red clay) won the match from peg 2 with 37lb 12 oz, which included 17lb of Silvers. Kevin caught 20lb of Carp fishing long in to his left hand margin using paste hook bait.

Kevin has a reputation of being a "Tackle Tart", I counted three rods and nine top sets made up. I think he used them all!

Full result:

1. Kevin Dicks 37-12-0 peg 2
2. Bob Price 25-08-0 peg 7
2. Mike Nicholls 25-08-0 peg 5
4. Steve Monday 24-10-0 peg 11
5. Steve Dawson 23-14-0 peg 9
6. Colin Golding 16-10-0 peg 1

Top Silvers:

1. Mike Nicholls 20-0-0 peg 5
2. Kevin Dicks 17-08-0 peg 2

No comments: