Wednesday 14 May 2008

Wednesday 14/05/2008 Carps AC - Huntstrete - Withy Pool

I have been asked a number of times how I prepare my expander pellet, so that they all sink! The following is how I achieve this (irrespective of pellet manufacture):
Put the desired amount of pellet in a bait tub and just cover with cold tap water. Leave for sufficient time for the pellets to absorb all of the water -about a couple of hours which enough time to prepare them on the morning of the match.

Once on the bank (or at home before you leave) pump the pellets as they are i.e. do not add any water – very important this as pumping in water will give the pellets neutral buoyancy, which dependant on the properties of the surface tension will cause the pellets to float. However, neutral buoyancy pellets can be good for hookers to counter act the weight of the hook!

It was another good turn out. Nice to see Bob Sheppard in attendance - back from the IOW. I didn't realise how much I missed his moaning (Colin take a back seat). To be fair I don't think Carps AC has quite got a grips of pegging this venue. I believe the aim of the pegging should to create as much space as possible, which means, for example going for every other peg, ensuring the whole thirty nine peg are evenly spread - a number of permutations are possible to achieve this.

Today I traveled with my mate Darren Gillman who had taken a weeks holiday (thanks for the "Hungry Horace" breakfast - still digesting it), so I knew I was up against it for the Silvers pool. Darren drew peg 41 which, due the pegging gave him an end peg. This peg also has some recent form with big Roach.

I drew peg soixante neuf. Bob Warren said it was a good Silvers peg - enough said! I fed my ground bait mix at 10 metre, but started on the Ronnie Roach caster rig. I started well catching Ronnies, Rudd and some Perch. After two hours it slowed so went out on the 10 metre Skimmer line and caught six small Skimmers. Back to the Ronnie caster rig and caught more Perch, but much smaller. I had a walk round the lake which indicated that I was most probably just ahead with the Silvers, so stuck with this to the end. I weighed about 9lb of mixed Silvers and 9lb of Perch for a total weight of 18lb 2oz for first in the Silvers pool and a pick up of £40 (plus £1 from Bill Ferris).

The match was won by Chris Fox with 51lb 1oz of Carp from the next peg 68. Chris fished the pellet waggler shallow in to open water with 12mm banded pellet, over loose fed 8mm pellet.

Steve Jefferies did well to come second from un-fancied peg 51 with 44lb 3oz.

Full Result:

1. Chris Fox 51-01-0 peg 68
2. Steve Jefferies 44-03-0 peg 51
3. Leighton Palmer 42-05-0 peg 50
4. Andy Britt 41-14-0 peg 44
5. Andy Hempstead 29-0-0 peg 67
6. Darren Gillman 22-10-0 peg 41

Top Silvers:

Mike Nicholls 18-02-0 peg 69
2. Bill Ferris 15-08-0 peg 41 (giving Bill too many tips for comfort!)

No comments: