Sunday 4 May 2008

Sunday 04/05/2008 Carps AC - Rood Ashton

This was my first visit to Rood Ashton and it won't be last as this is the venue for the Carpsmania final, for which I have qualified. A good choice I think. Many anglers have said to me that the lake is shallow and silted up. True it is shallow at about two foot, however, there is no signs of it being silted. I believe this to be a very old lake originally constructed by an estate for stocking with Wild Carp perhaps for a food source. The following is some history that might apply to this lake.

It was the Romans who first brought the carp to Western Europe way back in the forth century AD but it was not until the 1400s (this explains why Darren Gillman's map to Rood Ashton was dated 1390 - true ask him) that they were first introduced into British waters. Introduced initially by monks as a food source, carp became established and were stocked into estate lakes and fisheries, and once available, quickly became a target for anglers. In support of this both Darren and I caught some Wild Carp, which by appearance are Common Carp but build like torpedo's! Rood also translates as "Crucifix".
Any way back to the match. I drew peg 12 on the day which was in the middle of the far bank. I was convinced by many that there was twenty pound of Roach in every peg (quote - John Bradford - Avon Angling). I set up a rig for Carp, which would serve paste at ten metres and in both hand margins (same depth). I also set up my main attack for Ronnies at four metres and at eight metres.
I started on the caster in great expectation - however, after fifteen minutes not a sign of a Ronnie Roach - not even an indication. A few Carp were coming out so I changed to paste and had fourteen Carp in Fourteen put-in's. Then my struggle started. Went down to see Darren who was on peg 14. Daz had twenty Carp on paste. Ran back to my peg (got to beat yer mate-haven't you?). I had a quick flirt with the waggler, which resulted in one lost foul hooker. I then fed in rotation RH margin, ten metre and LH margin. I caught another six Carp for the remainder of the match. I ended up with twenty one Common Carp Carp for 86lb and second on the match and a pick up of £50.
This was a Carp Silversmania Qualifer and the top Silver weight went to Bob Gullick (pictured top right) with 21lb from peg 22.

The match winner was Alan Oram (pictured bottom left) with 95lb from peg 17. Alan caught on paste down the left hand margin over 6mm hard pellet.


As far as I am aware there were only one or two Mirror Carp caught.
Oh, yes - what about the twenty pound of Silvers from any peg. The nearest John Bradford got to anything silver was pushing Tom Coulston's car out of the mud behind Terry Bruton's swim (pictured bottom right!).

Full Result:

1. Alan Oram 95-0-0 peg 17
2. Mike Nicholls 86-0-0 peg 12
3. Darren Gillman 73-09-0 peg 14
4. Ron Wotton 72-04-0 peg 10
5. Jamie Smith 68-08-0 peg 6 (lost 30 Carp on feeder!)
6. Shane Caswell 67-13-0 peg 3

Top Silvers:

1. Bob Gullick 21-0-0 peg 22 (Sunday Silversmania Qualifier)
2. Bill Ferris 11-02-0 peg 18
3. Shaun Townsend 6-08-0 peg 1
Top Junior:
1. Ryan Houghton 20-08-0 peg 1a

No comments: