Wednesday 30 April 2008

Wednesday 30/04/2008 Carps AC - Emerald Pool - Sapphire

First of May tomorrow and the weather is still bloody freezing, which is due in the main to the North Westerly winds and the constant heavy showers. When will see the water getting warmer? The owner of Emerald Pool is building some holiday chalets, which are bounded by a fence some two metres behind pegs 18 to 15 on Sapphire pool. This fence seriously impacts the unshipping of poles and generally hinders fishing. Rich Coles drew peg 16 and decided not to fish due to this issue. I am sure it won't be long before three or four slats are missing from the fence behind these pegs and ad-hoc conversions to pole rollers! Most of the pegs on this pool required some work on them particularly peg 7.

This is the second visit for me, last time I won from peg 2 with 50lb, this time I pulled peg 3. This peg is in open water between two islands. I thought immediately that the waggler into the open water would might be good later in the match, as the fish may back-off. Oh, I suddenly realised left my waggler rod at home! I Quickly nipped round to Bill Ferris who kindly lent me a suitable float rod, which I set up with banded pellet for on the deck. I set also set up a paste rig at five metres and a light pellet rig at ten metres. The intention was, that if the paste rig did not produce I could switch this rig to meat at ten metres at 11-0 clock. I started on the paste and after five minutes did not have any indication. I cupped in some chopped meat at the ten metre line, but started on my ten metre light rig. I started to catch Silvers (Ronnies) straight away (for some reason no Silvers pool today - why not I wondered!). In between the Silvers I caught the odd Carp to 2lb. I tried the meat rig and caught two small Carp, but was pestered by Ronnies. I fished the light pellet rig for the rest of the match and weighed 16lb of Silvers and 25lb 13 of Carp for a total of 41lb 13 oz. This gave me 4th overall and a pick up of £35. Due to the wind picking up in the last hour the waggler rod was returned to Bill without being tested!

Young Tom Thick (pictured top right) won the match from peg 12 with a credible 81lb 14oz of Carp. Tom fished long pole with either expander pellet or sweet corn on the hook over loose fed 6mm hard pellet fished along side an opposite island. I am sure once Tom develops some finesse he will be a very difficult act to beat.

Carps AC Life President who works tirelessly for the club (anybody not been rung up by John yet - let me know) came a credible 6th from peg 17.

Full Result:

1. Tom Thick 81-04-0 peg 12
2. Adrian Bishop 64-08-0 peg 18
3. Ian Dawe 48-08-0 peg 15
4. Mike Nicholls 41-13-0 peg 3
5. Colin Golding 40-10-0 peg 11
6. John Bennett 38-08-0 peg 17

No comments: