Wednesday 2 April 2008

Wednesday 02/04/2008 Carps AC - Huntstrete - Withy Pool

My birthday today so I decided to bring along some cakes to the draw for my fellow anglers. So happy birthday to all those born on 02 April, which includes John Baker, the previous Carps AC Treasurer and one time National Angling Champion. It was nice to see Andy Britt bring his Dad Bryan with him for this match (Bryan won the last Bathampton AA pensioners match from Withy Pool). The match was pegged a big strange to say the least - in blocks of sevens and fives which only occupied 50% of the lake, what a waste! I drew peg 57 which was 6 metres wide to an island - but an end peg (thank god).
I set up a Skimmer rig which was a 4x14 Jolly with no 20 Tubertini 808 to 0.14 G-Line hook length. The depth was about five foot down the track, which I decided to fish at 10-o-clock at 9 metres. I also set up a caster rig, for fishing over to the island with kinder potted caster, and single caster on the hook. I also setup a paste rig for down the left hand margin a 4 metres.

I started on the caster and had one small Roach which came off. Decided early to started over my Skimmer line with 4mm GOT expander pellet and didn't look back, I caught Skimmers from 3oz up tp 2lb all match. I foul hooked one Carp, which came off in five seconds and broke on another. Caught nothing on caster or paste, but both were fished half heartily.

I weighed 24lb 9oz for first in the Silvers and second in the match and a pick up of £35. Tom Coulston won the match with four Carp on bread on the straight lead and a few Skimmers for 38lb 11oz from peg 54
.
Chris Fox (pictured) was second in the Silvers with 17lb 6oz of quality Roach also from an end peg 41. Chris qualified for the Wednesday Silversmania by default.

Full Result:

1. Tom Coulston 38-11-0 Peg 54
2. Mike Nicholls 24-09-0 Peg 57
3. Colin Golding 23-00-0 Peg 45
4. Chris Fox 22-15-0 Peg 41
5. Dave Bacon 16-02-0 Peg 44
6. Bill Ferris 12-04-0 Peg 43

Top Silver:

1. Mike Nicholls 24-09-0
2. Chris Fox 17-06-0 (Qualifies for the Wednesday Silversmania)

No comments: