Sunday 20 April 2008

Sunday 20/04/2008 Carps AC - Bullocks Farm - Match Pool

I must say this is a very difficult venue to peg - the question is which ones to leave out - rather than ones to put in! Thanks to recommendations of Paul Fairers as to which to leave out, pegging was about right for the twenty fishing. The match Lake is generally twenty seven inches deep and therefore, needs a lot of working at, the Crucians and Roach don't give themselves up easily. I suppose in some ways this can be an attraction for the purist. As I pegged the match I asked Steve Evans to draw my peg (mistake). Steve pulled out permanent peg 9 for me which was on the back bank. I found myself sandwiched between brothers Dave (peg 8) and Steve Evans (peg 10). A bit unnerving, as I consider both to be venue experts. Bullock Farm matches are always a tight affair, today was no exception.

I started after the Crucians at six meters and caught well for about two hours until I foul hooked a proper Carp, which pulled free. The next two hours were difficult. As every ounce would be crucial I decided to switched to single maggot at thirteen metres over kinder potted maggot and landed a small Carp and a some quality Roach for a total silvers weight of 14lb 12oz and an overall weight of 16lb 2oz (said the Carp was small). This resulted in joint sixth overall and third in the silvers and a pick up by default of £40.

The match winner and qualifier for the Carpsmaina was Gordon Cannings (pictured top right)with 28lb 3oz. Gordon caught late in the match at sixteen metres to the island opposite his permanent peg 17. Gordon caught on 6mm expander Ringer pellet over hard 4mm pellet.

The silvers Carpsmania qualifier was Dominic Sullivan (pictured bottom right) from permanent peg 2 with 17lb 14oz silvers comprising of mainly Crucians. Dominic was also second overall with 23lb.

Full Result:

1. Gordon Cannings 28-03-0 peg 17 (Carpsmania qualifier)
2. Dominic Sullivan 23-0-0 peg 2
3. Rod Wotton 22-04-0 peg 25
4. Lewis Jones 17-03-0 peg 5
5. Dave Wride 16-14-0 peg 29
6. Mike Nicholls 16-02-0 peg 9
6. Paul Fariers 16-02-0 peg 30

Top Silvers:

1. Dominic Sullivan 17-14-0 peg 2 (Carpsmaina qualifier)
2. Dave Wride 16-14-0 peg 29
3. Mike Nicholls 14-12-0

No comments: