Wednesday 19 March 2008

Wednesday 19/03/2008 Carps AC - Cider Farm Yarlington Mill

A good attendance of twenty nine in consideration that it was a midweek match with a north westerly wind blowing and ground frost. I drew peg 50 which is a corner peg. The NW wind was blowing right into the my right cheek. I set up two rigs, one for pellet at the bottom of the near side shelf down the peg at five metres, which was about six foot deep. The other for corn across to a clump of reeds. I anticipated that the reeds would give my 14x10 wire stemmed float some protection from the wind.

I Started on the pellet line and had a five Carp, after which, it completely died. I spent the rest of the match trying to catch across. It wasn't until the wind changed from the NW to the SW (blowing in to my left cheek) that I started to catch the odd Carp on corn. The wire stemmed float worked well in the conditions. However, I Could not develop a consistent feeding pattern.

I weighed 14lb 1oz. Which was only enough to beat my match mentor Charlie Barnes on peg 48 by 1lb 1oz!

I must say the fish looked a bit worse for wear, particularly around the mouth - Angler speed merchants - a little more care please.

The match was won by Andy Britt with 50-04-0 from peg 26. Andy fished soft pellet throughout. This was Andy's first visit to Cider Farm, so expect to see him back again.

Jim Baines (pictured above) came third from Peg 46 with 32-07-0. Jim and I go back a long way to the Bristol Avon and the Gloucester Canal open matches. I still have a float Jim gave me which he had been using with good results on the Gloucester. I kept the float as memento of beating Ken Giles off the next peg at Hempstead. I remember Jim was the first angler to win a match (100 + pegs) on the Bristol Avon at Claverton with Barbel. Jim is also an excellent guitarist - Dire Straits, etc... Jim has played with Franky Vaughan and the V men. He still does gigs for clubs and parties, etc...
Carps are back to Cider Farm on Sunday!


Full Result:

1. Andy Britt 50-04-0 Peg 26
2. Ryan Potter 33-09-0 Peg 53
3. Jim Baines 32-07-0 Peg 46
4. Steve Kedge 24-07-0 Peg 10
5. Jess Jordon 23-09-0 Peg 24
6. Dominic Sullivan 22-13-0 Peg 43

Mark Gibsons Match Report:


There was an excellent turn out for the CARPS AC Wednesday Match fished on Yarlington Mill Match Lake at Cider Farm Lakes. Leading the 29 man field was Andy Britt (picture - by Mark Gibson) who fished soft hooker pellet at 12 metres at the bottom of the island ledge from peg 26 for his 50-04 lbs of carp to 3 lbs. On the opposite side of the lake Ryan Potter battled a strong northerly wind from peg 53 for his 33-09 lbs second place. Jim Baines was only one fish behind him catching 32-07 lbs from peg 46. In all 434 lbs were brought to the scales giving an average of 19 lbs a man.

No comments: