Monday 10 March 2008

Sunday 09/03/2008 Carps AC - Burley Fields


Burley Fields is situated between Gloucester and Cheltenham (a few miles east of Junction 11A - M5). This venue never disappoints with the quality of Silverfishing. Quality Roach dominates with plenty of Skimmers. I have fished here twice this year and I can say so far this year both have been my best days fishing. However, the landscaping leaves a lot to be desired (has been described as a poop hole).

I drew peg 9 which I had not fished before, in the middle of the right hand bank. One problem with the venue is that it is tree lined which causes the light is bad and variable making float tip colour choice difficult. I choose black but needed to go white then back to black dependant on the sunlight and ripple. Always wise to have a Roach and Skimmer line here, so choose to fish for Roach at 10m (light dictating distance) out in front and for Skimmers at 11.5m at 2-o-clock.

Started on the Roach line and caught quality Roach from the start on caster. After a hour it started to slow so fed again and went to the Skimmer line and caught six small Skimmers straight off. Then nothing (hind sight tells me I should have started on the Skimmer line).
Back to the Roach for the rest of the match, progressively the fishing faded. The bait presentation to catch the larger Roach is important:

The caster must not be broken, by this I mean no white caster inners to be showing.
The hook must be buried.
Dry caster to be used on the hook.

I weighed in 25lb for second in the match and second in the Silvers and picked up £45. My travelling partner on the day Martin Rayett (pictured) won the match with 26lb 10oz which included two Chub for 10lb. Both caught on his pellet line. He also lost one.

Full Result:

1. Martin Rayett 26-10-0 Peg 5
2. Mike Nicholls 25-0-0 Peg 9
3. Gordon Cannings 20-10-0 Peg 8
4. Colin Golding 20-0-0 Peg 11

Top Silvers:Martin Rayett 26-10-0 (Qualifies for Sundays Silversmania)

No comments: